I received several complimentary games including, Shrimp Cocktail, from BlueOrange games to test out. We have been having loads of fun with it.
Basically, you want to identify what matches on three cards - either color, size, number or hat style. Once you find a match for all three you grab the starfish and announce your match that you discovered. It takes a few rounds of practice to get a feel for the game. Once you have played a few times though it is very easy to follow and super fun to play for children ages 7 to adult. The age range is definitely accurate - younger than 7 may have a hard time finding the matches quick enough to beat others.
Here are the positives about this game:
- challenges visual discrimination skills
- works on visual form constancy skills
- encourages self control (don't grab the starfish unless you see a match)
- practices reaction time
- quick to play (takes about 10-15 minutes)
- using the starfish cuts down on arguing who saw the match first
- can be challenging for the younger set to find a match quickly