The interventions consisted of encouraging:
- regular family meals together
- adequate sleep for children
- limiting the time children spend watching television
- removing television from rooms where children sleep
- parenting practices such as role modeling and limit setting.
At the end of 6 months, the results showed that the children in the intervention group were:
- sleeping 45 minutes more per night
- television watching dropped about an hour per day on the weekends (non intervention group increased tv viewing on the weekend)
- no change in family meals together
- overall, the body mass index of children in the intervention group dropped an average of 0.18, while it rose 0.21 in the control group.