Tuesday, September 2, 2014
6 Tips to Get Organized this School Year
School based therapists have a tough job in terms of keeping all the paperwork requirements in an organized fashion. With large caseloads and different schools it can be a daunting task to keep it all in order. Here are few ideas to help your stay organized during the school year:
1. Try using one color folder per school. For example, for every student at school XYZ use a red folder. For each student at school ABC use a blue folder.
2. In each student's file, keep an general information page including goals. There are several free versions of this from TeachersPayTeachers such as http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/IEP-at-a-Glance-1392781
3. Keep a binder for all your daily notes. Using file folder dividers with tabs, write the student's name on the file folder tab. Try to keep it in alphabetical order to quickly find a student's name.
4. Keep a file folder with your most popular hand outs in your bag. When teachers or parents need extra information on a popular topic you will have it all at your fingertips. Check out all of our hand outs for ideas at http://yourtherapysource.com/handouts.html
5. Keep a pack of sticky notes ready to jot down a note or reminders. At the end of the day transfer any information on the sticky note to the proper location.
6. Schedule a meeting with yourself at the end of the week to stay organized. Create a time slot in your schedule at the end of the day (or at home) to sit down go through all the important papers from the week and re-organize to get ready for the upcoming week. It will be a time saver in the long run.