The results are in from the latest survey when we asked pediatric OTs, PTs, parents and teachers this question – “what characteristics of activities or exercises influences successful carry over of recommendations at home or in the classroom”?
We had a whopping 320 responses! Not surprisingly close to 70% were pediatric occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants. I was hoping for more parents and teachers to respond to hear their opinions but no such luck.
Here are the top 5 responses of what makes an occupational or physical therapy carry over activity successful (each participant could choose more than one response):
1. Activities are incorporated into the daily routine
2. Requires a short amount of time (less than 5 minutes)
3. The overall benefit of the exercise program or activity
4. Child can complete activity/exercises independently
5. How well the activities were explained by the therapist